Debian-Edu and Java (Was: java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit)

[Matthias Klose]
> that kind of attitude will lead to a depopulation of java packages in
> main and java support just for two architectures. If that's your goal,
> please go on.
>
> It seems that even debian-edu is in favour of this approach putting
> non-free components on their CDs.

I'm glad to be able to report that this is not true.  Debian-Edu is in
favour of having a DFSG-compliant Java implementation, and have spent
considerable amount of effort to help making that happen.  We will
continue to help out until free java is working well for the systems
schools need.  While we wait for free java to become good enough, we
need to provide a working solution for the schools using Debian-Edu
today, and thus help them use the non-free Java (and Flash) solutions
out there.

I'm not sure how you got that impression, but suspect it might be
related to the tests on putting SUN Java on the Debian-Edu CD.  I was
ready to put the new packages in non-free on the Etch CD like we did
for the Sarge CD, but discovered that it needed to ask the people
installing the CD if they accepted the non-free license, and that is
not acceptable for us, so it was pulled from the CD again. To get back
on the CD, we would need to get an exception from SUN allowing is to
install it without showing the license question, and as far as I know
no-one in Debian-Edu is working on that.  I guess we will end up
explaining how to install those packages from the net instead, and
spend the space on the CD on other packages instead.

The most important feature is java applet support.  Some of the
important test cases are listed on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/JavaInDebianEdu>.  Last time I
tested, few of them were working properly in Etch with gcjappletviewer. :(

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen