Is batik squiggle supposed to work?

I've been testing batik on and off with Classpath the last year,
hoping it would make it to Debian/main and thus allow the OpenJump
package to make it into Debian/main.  But there are still issues.  But
I am starting to suspect that the problem isn't with Classpath, but
with batik itself, as it fail to run with SUN Java as well.

Is batik supposed to work?  When I use the ./squiggle.sh in the
pkg-java svn, it throws an exception:

% JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.08 ./squiggle.sh
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack location - find_vma failed
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.NetPermission setDefaultAuthenticator)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:264)
        at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:427)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:532)
        at java.net.Authenticator.setDefault(Authenticator.java:110)
        at org.apache.batik.apps.svgbrowser.Main.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.apps.svgbrowser.Main.main(Unknown Source)
%

Is the batik package broken?  Did something change in SUN Java
breaking batik, or did this never work?

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen