Re: JNotify

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your responses.
>
> that main guide seem to assume that I want to package a program, not a
> lib.
(assume mainT guide) Well, the example is a program, but it's not really
different from a library in terms of packaging. Or!?

> also, it makes some assumptions about the structure of my package
> release bundle.
Not sure you're correct here, could you explain what you mean?

> my library has native parts, and this is the project layout:
I'm not familiar with mixed java/native packages. Someone else needs to
comment.

> jnotify : all the java code (including platform specific code).
>
> jnotify_linux : native code for the linux lib.
>
> jnotfiy_windows : native code for the windows lib.
If applicable, don't package it.

> I have an ant file that can build it all on linux (including the windows
> part), it outputs a zip file containing everything needed.
Yep, typical for Java and not useful :-(

> how would you start debianizing it?
Preparing the source is the first step.

> must I first create a jnotify-ver.tar.gz file?
Yes. Only keep the non-binary parts, Java packages tend to contain the jar
libraries they depend on, you need to remove them and depend on the
corresponding Java packages (if they're already in Debian, else you need
to package them as well). If applicable in your case, I like to create a
shell script which exports the CVS/SVN tree, removes everything not needed
and create the .tar.gz. I then put it in my 'debian' directory, allowing
others to recreate the sources from scratch.

> if so, what internal directory structure should that tar.gz have?
Whatever. It's good practice to have a sub-directory jnotify-ver with
everything in it, but the Debian tools are intelligent enough to cope with
other structures.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric de France, d'Allemagne et de Navarre