Re: [Debian-Java] Bits from the FOSDEM

Hi,

>> > - java libraries can go to main if they can be built with free VM;
>
> Does this also mean that it is no longer required that a library be
> runnable from a free VM? My libbcprov-java builds just fine, but the
> test cases fail under all free VMs.
I would also second the fact that, if the library builds with a free VM
but the maintainer can't find/determine a use case where the library would
run under a free VM, the library CANNOT not be part of main.

If the library builds with a free VM and only runs partially under a free
VM, the question should be "is there a program ready to go to main,
depending on this library, and running under a free VM with this
library?"; if the answer would be yes, then the library MUST go to main,
in order to allow the program to go to main as well.

In all other cases, well, it would be up to the maintainer (or we could
say "the library MAY/SHOULD go to main").

As a maintainer, I'm not really keen to answer to hordes of disappointed
users why the library in main doesn't work with any free VM.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric de France, d'Allemagne et de Navarre