Re: Can I use the apps running free Java???

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 10:38 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:32:30AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> > Is it possible to run the following combination of applications on a
> > Debian AMD64 Etch installation, using nothing but free software (I know
> > it can using Sun's SDK, because that is what I am running now):
> >
> > - Java 1.5
>
> I am not aware of any free java implementation that matches java 1.5
> yet.  I know many doing 1.3, and I think a few might do 1.4 by now.

Those based on GNU Classpath are close to full 1.4:
http://developer.classpath.org/support/ (roadmap)
And we are working on full 1.5 support.
Some nice progress can be seen:
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/index.php?p=139

> > If that is possible, are there (pointers to) any known problems?
>
> Well don't know.  I know java is best avoided. :)

Yes :) But please do try to help out with the free replacements for
those that did fell into the proprietary java trap!

Cheers,

Mark