Re: ant VS make

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 23:32 +0200, Daniele Menozzi wrote:
> Hi all, I've always used make for my java projects, but recently I tried
> ant. It seems interesting, but it has a huge drawback: it is really slower
> than make.

There is a replacement project gantt that is a lot faster, but doesn't
support all traditional ant tasks yet:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gantt
gantt is a replacement for Apache Ant for free operating systems,
written in C. It uses libxml2 and glib. gantt can be extended with tasks
written as separate programs or shell scripts. Distributed under the GPL
(which is a plus if your code base might not be compatible with the
ASL).

> So theese are my questions: do ant give me some important advantages that
> make doesn't? What tool do you use?

Not really imho. I use plain old Makefiles. The problem with ant is that
you need to install it everywhere first while make is already available
everywhere. Also the XML syntax it uses makes it pretty hard to quickly
read and understand (especially if you are used to simple make rules).
It also makes "bootstrapping" projects a bit harder, but that might be
specific to a lot of core libraries and tools I am involved with.

Cheers,

Mark