Re: J2SE 1.5 JDK License

João Pinheiro wrote:
| I'm currently working on a Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux LiveCD
Distribution to be used by the students at my university. The goal of
this distro is to provide students with a development environment
featuring everything they might need to use for all of their subjects
throughout the entire semester. This would obviously require me to
bundle Sun's JDK along with the distro.

| I have read the license agreement for the JDK 1.5 and I noticed the
following excerpt:

| A. Software Internal Use and Development License Grant.
| Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and
| restrictions and exceptions set forth in the Software
| "README" file, including, but not limited to the Java
| Technology Restrictions of these Supplemental Terms, Sun
| grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited
| license without fees to reproduce internally and use
| internally the Software complete and unmodified for the
| purpose of designing, developing, and testing your
| Programs.
|
| If I understand this correctly, it should possible for me to bundle
the JDK along with the distro for as long as it's only distributed
inside my university. Am I correct? Also, what would "unmodified" mean
in this context? Is it possible for me to unpack and install the JDK on
the system (without modifying any of the files) or am I forced to
distribute the original self-extracting .bin file and require students
to unpack and install it each time they boot from the LiveCD?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jdk-1_5_0_05-license.txt

| Thanks in advance,
| João Pinheiro

My understanding is that, once you don't modify the JVM, it's ok to
distribute it.

Severeal distros are distributing it also, and I don't know of any
complains.

Greetings,

Carlos
- --