Re: Policy/recommendation on compiling with version 1.4 vs. 1.5?

> Java packages should be compiled with one of the free Java
> implementations (gjc, jikes, etc) if possible.  I believe this is more
> important than the choice of SUN java compiler to use.
>
> Are there any compatibility problems with the free java compilers?

Does any of them support the new language features of java 1.5?

Sorry, this is probably a bit off topic. But on the other hand, if none
of the free java compiler does support 1.5 yet, that is in fact a
compatibility problem!

BTW: If some of the free java compilers already support java 1.5,
shouldn't the virtual package "java-compiler" be split up into
"java-compiler-1-3", "java-compiler-1-4", "java-compiler-1-5" or
likewise? Currently (in sarge) all the java compilers just provide
"java-compiler".

Regards,
Michael Riedel