Re: Policy/recommendation on compiling with version 1.4 vs. 1.5?

[Eric Lavarde]
> So my questions:
> 1. is this correct?

No idea.

> 2. if yes, shouldn't the consequence for Debian be, even though Sun
> Java is not officially supported, a recommendation or policy that
> Java packages should be compiled with Java 1.4, if possible?

Java packages should be compiled with one of the free Java
implementations (gjc, jikes, etc) if possible.  I believe this is more
important than the choice of SUN java compiler to use.

Are there any compatibility problems with the free java compilers?