Re: test if there is a gain

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:24:26PM +0200, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:49:58PM +0200, Daniele Cruciani wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you wanna gain with this? I see no real benefit in this over the
> > > current situation. eclipse--ecj will be in debian when eclipse gets in.
> >
> > no, no gain, it is just for testing (testing if there is a gain in using
> > precompiled jars).
> >
> > asap ==  when eclipse-ecj will be in debian && gcc-4.0 is released ...
>
> I see no reason to imidiately switch everything to eclipse-ecj and
> gcc-4.0 when it hits debian. We live from freedom of choice and
> mono cultures are bad.

Absolutely, it is just that, another choice. I have not tried
free-java-sdk, but as I can read in description it make a choice in
tool, and it is just a package with the same aim of java-gcj-compat.

Anyway, it has to be done a choice in building as if there are
advances on using a java compiler over using another it _should_ be
used that. But, as you noted, there are no benchmark now, on
performance. There are a number of other factor for adopt a compiler
over another of course, thus I just say it should be used and not must

I have some hardware problem now, but what I would do is just
benchmark performance of precompiled over non precompiled ecj in order
to see if there is a real gain, and ecj is an example of a real
application that probably do not need to load jar but is complex
enough to see some comparition. I would not setup a java vm war.

Daniele.