Re: GCJ Native Proposal

On Sunday 13 March 2005 22:05, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> But just for discussion - wouldn't there be a third possibility ?
> (Sorry if this is a stupid question !).
>
> What about a creating a second source package which build-depends
> on the java source package to produce the native binary. This wouldn't
> hit the buildds, but put the burden onto the maintainer as he has to
> achieve that both source packages are in sync. The binary source package
> therefore wouldn't include any source only the rules file to produce a
> -jbi package.
>
> I don't know if this is reasonable / possible ?  Is there something
> like source package dependencies in debian atm ?

Hmmm, the idea has its merits. Implementationwise, it'd make more sense to
have $lib-jbi Build-Depend on $lib-java. The $lib-jbi would have to be a
sperate source, but I imagine that cuold be a very small standard template,
which fetches most of it information via grep-dcrtl at build-time, thus being
essentially the same for all -jbi packages out there. Both can be uploaded at
the same time, the buildds can sort it out for themselves.

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?
- *hust* gut *rotz* *keuch*