Re: [dsi-list] Re: Looking for the right Java solution

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:47:59AM +0100, Ivo Marino wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:31 +0100, Ivo Marino wrote:
>
> > Well then, I'll try to go my way using the free alternatives. Eventually
> > I'll send in some feedback if something should not work as expected.
> >
> Hello folks,
>
> Some time ago I've asked about "the right Java solution" on Debian platforms.
> In the meantime I made some progress and started to code some "example"
> Java applications in order to start learning Java.
>
> The code I'm writing and testing is being compiled with free-java-sdk
> which works fine, documentation is being generated with gjdoc which I've
> installed from sid on my testing system (the testing version was old).
>
> By the way: Another developer is also using free-java-sdk, but on Ubuntu
> Warty and it seems to work as well as on Debian.
>
> At this point I have some more questions regarding the Java API
> documentation. While coding it would be very useful to have the Java API
> documentation always available "offline" in the browser, does Debian
> provide such a documentation package related to free-java-sdk? I've
> tried to take a look around but found nothing. I would like to avoid
> using the "third-part" Sun Java documentation API.
>
> A "devhelp-book-java" Debian package for devhelp would also be useful
> but actually such a package does not seem to be available.

classpath-doc will contain the API docs for classpath in the future.
They are not in there because of a bug in kaffe using too much memory
when running gjdoc. This does not happen with gcj-4.0 but this is not in
unstable yet.

Providing a devhelp-book-java package might be useful too. Can you
please file a wishlist bug for this ?

Thanks,

Michael
--