Re: [Quantian-general] Weka Machine Learning Environment

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 12:51 -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 5 November 2005 at 12:09, mcpherb@nationwide.com wrote:
> | I would be very interested in seeing the Weka machine learning environment
> | added to a live-DVD, such as Quantian.  Weka is a powerful, open-source
> | data mining package with many artificial intelligence algrorithms, created
> | at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.  It is written in Java, and so
>
> Sure, I'm aware of Weka and their book, but have never installed it as I find
> Java so tedious to work with.
>
> I also have limited time and bandwidth for figuring out suggested packages.
> If you could help with Weka, for example by installing Knoppix 4.0.2
> (possibly the cdrom version) to disk and then documenting what you to do to
> install Weka, and make it work well, I'd be helped quite a bit. Ideally, of
> course, would be a Debian package encapsulating all this. It may be
> worthwhile mentioning this to the good folks over at debian-java -- cc'ed. [
> Debian-java'ers, please CC us back directly on follow-ups. ]

Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this. As part of GNU Classpath we
are tracking weka as one of the applications we like to have supported.
It is listed under "Starts but doesn't really work yet" on
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/FreeSwingTestApps
If there are people wanting to test this application and give some
feedback to the developers (either on that wiki or by emailing
classpath@gnu.org) that would be appreciated. I must warn that it will
certainly show some bugs though and you will have to get a CVS version
of GNU Classpath for the latest development. (GNU Classpath is used by
GCC/GCJ, Kaffe, Jamvm, etc. as core library.)

Thanks,

Mark