Re: Current status of your swt-gtk package

The new packages run on kaffe? (it sounds that way, If you used a different
free jvm them just 's/kaffe/[name of other JVM]/' for the following
questions.)

Afaik, yes. And on gcj/gij. And surely on the various other up-to-date free
runtimes in Debian, since they all use pretty much the same class libs :)

A propperly working java bytecode-compiler should be able to generate bytcode that runs on any (fully working)interpreter/native-compiler (JVM). AFAICT the bytecode-compiler need not know or care which which interpeter/native-compiler or classlib set will be used. Eclipse's own 'ecj' should be able to bytcode-compile the java parts of eclipse just fine, and If I were the maintainer I would do that. I think Kaffe is known to bytecode-compile eclipse just fine.

I'm not so certain about bycode-compiling eclipse with gcj. When Redhat used gcj to make a native version of eclipse it required some changes to gcj itself. They did not even bother trying to use gjc for the bytcode-compiling because they knew they would encounter bugs. The fact that they needed to make changes to gcj to be able to native-compile eclipse makes it sound like gcj may not be able to run eclipse. gij on te other hand would probably work.

Also note that Kaffe includes some classes that are not a part of GNU classpath, so it is possible a program may work fine on kaffe, but not on a different free interpreter/native-compiler.

Did you remove the depends on an 'offical' JVM, or do 'kaffe|...'?
If you removed the depends on the 'offical' JVM rather than make it a
choice, please reconsider. Explanation: I have a JVM from sun installed on
my system solely for reasons of practicallity. Since I already have that
installed, and that is known to run Eclipse just fine, I do not want to
waste space downloading kaffe.

It'd be impossible to move it main, afaik, if it only depended and worked
on non-free software.

true. However if it has a depends of [free software] *OR* [non-free software], it is allowable.

If you want to avoid a $freevm download completely, you'd have to
make sure that the eclipse 3.1 package and all its dependencies build
and work fine on the non-free software in question, and don't
mess with the non-free software's licensing restrictions, for example.

It seems unlikely that any changes needed to support a free JVM will break the running of the program on the official JVM. Remember that the upstream version is intended to be run
on the official JVM, so we know that that works.

I can see no reason why there would be licencing issues. I am aware of no JVM that prohibits running of
java bytecode that can also be run on a JVM that is licenced differently.

If the fear is that compiling using kaffe might somehow contaminate the resulting bytecode such that the GPL applies to it is pure FUD. Even if it was true there is absolutely no reason why compiling eclipse with its own compiler would cause it to be a licence violation to run the resulting bytecode on any JVM.

That's quite a chunk of work, and since the manpower of the
debian-java effort is limited, most people doing the actual packaging
work tend to concentrate their efforts on Free Software, which
Debian can distribute freely together.

cheers,
dalibor topic