Re: Re: Eclipse 3.1-7 debs uploaded

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:29:27AM +0200, Daniele Cruciani wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 09:48:02PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> >     Unpacking libswt3.1-gtk-java (from
> libswt3.1-gtk-java_3.1-9_all.deb) ...
> >     dpkg: error processing libswt3.1-gtk-java_3.1-9_all.deb (--install):
> >      trying to overwrite `/usr/share/java/swt-gtk-3.1.jar', which is also in package libswt-gtk-3.1-java

> > But who's supposed to be building these packages anyway -- you or
> > Shaun?  And why the very subtle difference in name: libswt3.1-gtk-java
> > (Michael) versus libswt-gtk-3.1-java (Shaun)?
>
> In replay you said it is possible the same package be build from 2 source,
> but I guess there should be a virtual package that both packages provide
> and other package depends on, right?
>
> (libswingwt-java depends on libswt-gtk-3.1-java for example)
>
> ... right, but still not very useful, eclipse could just depend
> (and build-depends) on libswt-gtk-3.1-java and build script just
> rm -rf or something cleaner (do not build at all).

SWT is build by Eclipse build system anyway (its MUCH work to rip this out).
The idea is to generate the same packages as the swt-gtk source package does.
Then remove swt-gtk from unstable. All applications depending on
libswt-gtk-3.1-java will still work as this package is now generated from
Eclipse instead of swt-gtk.

> In other way if eclipse depends exactly to the same version,
> libswt-gtk-3.1-java could be removed (in the near future).

That is currently the case, yes.

> Why all this problems? because there was a previous threads about
> do not stress automatic build system and Debian resources ..

No. Its not useful to have the same sources multiple times in the archive.
When bugs need to get fixed they need to get fixed in multiple places.
Normal maintainers can probably handle this but the security team will
curse everyone on the planet when they need to fix some bug in SWT.
Currently we have SWT 2.1, SWT 3.0 and SWT 3.1 more less in the archive.
The SWT form my Eclipse debs is another copy of 3.1.

> Anyway thanks for packaging eclipse 3.1, I missed the release and I had
> build (some days ago) eclipse 3.0.2 with the same script from Jerry, not very
> clean, but it compiles cleanly and works .. (I think this is just FYI: gcj, and
> java-gcj-compat and others .. your are walking in the right way)
>

> Ciao,
> Daniele.
> ps.: gcjappletviewer now does not work any more and give:
> ** ERROR **: file ../../../src/libjava/jni/gtk-peer/gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkImage.c: line 572 (createRawData): assertion failed: (data_fid != 0)
> aborting...
> finally an assert error and line number! ;)

This is a known bug in libgcj6-awt:

Regards,

Michael