Re: Tomcat and Eclipse

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 03:30:43PM +0200, Christian Stalp spake thus:
[...]
> I have installed Eclipse successfully and also installed the Tomcat-plugin
> of Sysdeo. But: if I create a new project, Eclipse does not or can not make
> a new sub-folder in den webapps-directrory.
>
> And I cannot start, stop or restart the tomcat-server with the tomcat-menu
> in Eclipse.
[...]
Christian,
As you have observed, you are running Eclipse under your uid and the Tomcat 4 instance packaged by Debian runs under the tomcat4 (iirc) user.  My approach for plugins like Sysdeo's and MyEclipseIDE has been to have a separate "development" Tomcat instance that is simply an unpack of the binary tarball.  Since I don't think any of those tools allows for something like an 'su' command, I think that is your only choice if you wish to use the plugin.

Of course, another alternative is to use the Catalina Ant tasks and script deployment through Ant using the admin user you recently created.  This is a bit more involved than you might like, but it would avoid the need for a separate Tomcat instance.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins
All Things Computed