Re: [RFC] Debian Java Announcement for Sarge

Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

>> Hi Debian J*v* people,
>>
>> I think we have to make an announcement about debian-java in Sarge: what
>> is the status java in Debian, how many packages we moved to main, what
>> are the changes from Woody etc.
>>
>> 0° Introduction (I forget to make one... any idea?);
>> 1° Status of the JVM's from Woody to Sarge;
>> 2° Java packages (libs and apps);
>> 3° Packages that move from contrib to main;
>> 4° Debian Java Maintainers;
>> 5° Future;
>> 6° Conclusion.
>>
>> Thanks for your comments about the organization of the document.
>>
>> I think we can publish this mail on the wiki and work on it, then put it
>> in the alioth's cvs:
>> /cvsroot/pkg-java: create a docs dir with an announces dir, and then a
>> file we can call DebianJavaInSarge.txt or something.
>>
>> 0° Introduction
>

> What about:
>
> This document should give you a rough overview of what has changed
> between woody and sarge with java on debian.
>
> Most notably there are very much improved and also new free runtimes
> in sarge which are capable of running several programs. Also a lot
> of software got packaged and moved to the main section which indicates
> that they are buildable and runnable by the free runtimes.
>
> Another change for better support of commercial, non-free jdks the
> package - java-package - is provided.

java-package blurb draft:
For those unfamiliar with java-package, it provides a way for you to
package Java(TM) Runtime Environments and Java(TM) Development Kits as
Debian packages rather than installing them manually. This allows you to
leverage Debian’s rich dependency management for Java-based packages. It
provides the non-free Java(TM) functionality that the free runtimes for
Java(TM) community is working hard to replace with free, open
replacements. Think of it as “bridge technology” while things continue
to progress in the free runtime efforts.  Currently supported JREs and
JDKs include:

Sun JRE 1.3.1 - 1.5, JDK 1.4-1.5
Blackdown JRE/JDK 1.3 - 1.4
IBM JRE/JDK 1.3 - 1.4

[...]
> Maybe we can add here something about free java projects:
>
> This integration effort mainly depends on the evolving of the free java
> projects like GNU classpath as the class library project and the free
> runtimes like kaffe, jamvm, sablevm and the gnu java project.
>
> If you are interested in free java you can help in several ways by
> testing java programs with the free runtimes, report bugs or help out
> with documentation. You are also invited to help programming in these
> projects if you are also a java developer.
>
> And also with the websites linked ....
>

> Wolfgang

- --
Barry Hawkins