Re: New VM Selection Method

Michael Koch wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:17:22AM +0200, Wolfgang Baer wrote:

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 11:12 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:

We need a standard, nice, easy to extend way for binary wrappers
in /usr/bin and/or startup scripts to locate their VM. There are a few
requirements that I had:
1) Whatever we do should be GUI configurable. I want to write a "System
VM Selection" control panel of some sort allowing the user to choose
which VM is used system-wide and also program specific.

That would be nice - especially as users are should be allowed to
override the vm. But I think we should put the scripts first in
java-common - to have something to test etc. - and then at a later
stage put the GUI stuff in place.

Just to ensure that the feature doesn't need to wait till a
working GUI is written.

BTW, should the GUI be in Java ?

We need at least a command-line tool, probably called update-java-vm or
so in Debian-style. A real gui tool would be nice too to make it easier
for end users.

Perhaps we should have the command-line tool first. We can then later
add the GUI as it will be just for comfortability.

Yes, thats what I wanted to express. We should start as early and don't
wait for a "ready for the user" GUI application.

Wolfgang