Re: any free JDKs not using jikes as compiler?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 06:26 pm, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Vaughan wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The reason that I ask is that I would like to try to get Subversions java
> > binding (JavaHL) into the archive. (The current source package has
> > support for building JavaHL but it is disabled by default).

What I wrote above seems to have given you the wrong impression.  I'm just a
Debian user not a DD.  I'm not intending to package javahl, merely to
convince David Kimdon (Subversion maintainer) to build javahl as part of
subversion.

Since Subversion is in main, I needed to find a way to build javahl using free
java tools.

Note that all the credit for the existing javahl support in subversion belongs
to other people.

> Attached two patches which fix the jikes build problem. BTW, its not
> jikes fault but wrong coding sytle in the java files. jike is very
> strict to the specification - which javac is not.
>
> Could you please forward the patches to upstream ?

will do.
But I won't have time for a couple of days.

> Put the patches in your debian/patches dir and copy the two line change
> in the attached series file to your series file. I successfully built
> the javaHL bindings with these patches in my chroot.
>
> Two comments:
>
> (1) The debian/libsvn-javahl directory gets created and populated with
> the native and java libraries if ENABLE_JAVAHL=yes is set in the rules
> file - however no libsvn-javahl package gets created. But I think this
> is only a minor packaging problem.

You need to regenerate debian/control otherwise dpkg-buildpackage does not
build the new deb.
$ rm debian/control
$ debian/rules debian/control

> (2) According to the java policy the native library parts should be
> installed under /usr/lib/jni directory. I personally would also name the
ok.
> package just libsvn-java. libsvn-javahl doesn't say much to a user and
> confuses him in my opinion.
ack.
the name javahl comes from subversion upstream. It appears to be an
abbreviation of java High Level bindings.  At one stage there were also java
bindings generated through swig.  My feeling is that trying to would also
confuse some people.

> Regards,
>
> Wolfgang
>
> PS: I am eager awaiting the JavaHL bindings so I can use the eclipse svn
>      plugin without recompiling subversion from source.
me too :)

users@subclipse keeps getting hammered about how hard it is to build javahl.

I doubt its worth trying to convince david to upload with javahl enabled this
close to the sarge freeze.  (The new deb would need to go through new).  But
I hope to file a wishlist for subversion 1.2rc in experimental with javahl
enabled over the weekend.

--
Thanks
Andrew V.