Re: any free JDKs not using jikes as compiler?

Andrew Vaughan wrote:
Hi

The subject line says it all. Anyone know of any free JDK packages not using jikes as a compiler?

I don't.

I've been investigating free java compilers recently, and unfortunately jikes really seemed like the only candidate as a drop-in javac replacement. This might change with java-gcj-compat, which will be in gcj 4.0 packages if I remember correctly.

The reason that I ask is that I would like to try to get Subversions java binding (JavaHL) into the archive. (The current source package has support for building JavaHL but it is disabled by default).

Unfortunately jikes 1.22 can't build JavaHL. It does build with Sun's JDK.

Did you report this bug to jikes upstream?

Is kcj coming back?

I think that in any case, it would be good to have a kjc package back in Debian (from upstream releases or CVS).

Good luck,

Daniel