Re: [Fwd: Re: libbsf-java]

Wolfgang Baer <WBaer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> The difficulty (once 64-bit support is done) with porting JamVM to
> these architectures is the calling convention.  Other VMs (e.g.
> SableVM) rely on libffi to do this portably.  I prefer to instead use
> hand-coded routines for each architecture/platform (using assembler),
> to make calling JNI methods as efficient as possible -- JNI is
> notoriously inefficient as it is.

Kaffe uses its own sysdepCallMethod code but can also use libffi as an
additional option. See config/$arch/sysdepCallMethod.h for details. See
config/sysdepCallMethod-ffi.h for the wrapper for ffi. Feel free to merge it
into JamVM, if you think it's useful.

My personal plan is to merge in libffi into Kaffe as well, and use it as a
default on Linux at least, and then to gradually switch to it for other
platforms.

cheers,
dalibor topic