Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Thu, 2005-13-01 at 18:13 -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> "Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> writes:
> > Which Eclipse packages?  The old ones we have in SID now?  Irrelevant.
> > There would have been nothing whatsoever to discuss in such case.
> >
> > The *new* Eclipse packages that are being prepared now and which we've
> > been discussing (I already said it in another email, but you must
> > have crossed yours) have it this way:
> >
> > Build-depends: kaffe
> > Depends: kaffe | java2-runtime
> >
> > [ From http://kyoto.larvalstage.net/ubuntu/warty/ ]
> >
> > So a user who does either 'apt-get source eclipse' or 'apt-get install
> > eclipse' will link (either at compilation time or at runtime) to Kaffe's
> > Java library, and to Kaffe JVM bindings which are all GPL.
> >
> > I hope this clarifies _at least_ this issue.
>
> Can you clarify one more?  Is Eclipse then just building as
> well-specified JVM code, or is it linking against GPL'd class
> libraries as well?

I am unsure what you understand as "well-specified JVM code".  But
any Java application you compile (unless you're compiling the most and
self-contained core classes) surely has to link to a java library, just
as you cannot compile your application w/o having .so and .h files of
a library you're linking to.

In case of Kaffe at least the core part of the java libraries is GPLed,
and yes, you have to link against it during compilation.

> I don't actually know whether Kaffe is a JVM or
> also includes the rest of the Java runtime environment.

Kaffe includes a JVM along with java libraries.  The whole JVM is GPLed,
and part of the very core libraries also is.  Kaffe also includes some
tools (a compiler among others).

Cheers,

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski
--