Sun Tells Javalobby To Pull All Sun Java APIs Off jdocs.com

Hello,

   Rick Ross - founder of Javalobby - reports in the
lastest JDocs.com Update newsletter that Sun pulled
off all Sun Java APIs from the JDocs.com site. Again
Sun shows its true colors.

   Rick writes:

What Happened to J2SE and other Sun APIs?

Several of you have noticed that J2SE, J2ME and J2EE
are no longer present on the front page of JDocs.com
and asked why? The simple answer is that Sun has asked
us to remove those APIs from the system and informs us
that its business interests are not served by allowing
them to be included. I take responsibility for not
having obtained formal permission in advance, and I
was foolish to imagine Sun would naturally want to
help us deliver the best possible service to Java
developers. I'm sorry that we are not presently able
to provide them.

Sun is adamant that the javadocs for Sun APIs must be
accessible solely and exclusively from sun.com -
nowhere else. Although their rationale has not been
revealed to us, Sun's internal dialogue has also
apparently resulted in a conclusion that JDocs.com
somehow threatens the integrity of the Java platform,
and we certainly would not want our community resource
to have that effect! From the beginning Javalobby has
been an unwavering supporter of the Java vision, so we
would sorely regret it if our contribution hurt the
platform. Still, it seems to be quite a stretch for
any conspiracy theory to apply to JDocs.com.

Ironically, Sun was not only the very first friend in
Java with whom we shared details about JDocs.com
almost two months ago, but it is also the only
organization to have asked us to remove any API while
a huge number have asked to be added. We imagined from
Sun's initial enthusiasm and from subsequent
conversations that we would enjoy their full
cooperation to better serve the needs of developers
like you. I should have anticipated that the right
hand might not know what the left hand was doing. Even
though we spoke openly to a good number of
significantly placed individuals at Sun, there were
others who acted surprised and offended when we made
our preliminary announcement. We apologize for any bad
feeling, and nothing could have been further from our
intent. We hoped for JDocs.com to be unequivocally
positive.

Javalobby has patiently encouraged Sun to recognize
and value the benefits that a dynamic, comprehensive,
annotated, searchable documentation resource brings to
Java developers like you. A key strength of JDocs.com
is that it can become a "one-stop shop" for your API
documentation needs, and it also adds powerful
evolutionary enhancements over the static html docs
that Sun produces. It would definitely be a pity if we
can support you with hundreds of APIs but not include
Sun's core Java APIs.

If Sun cannot ultimately be persuaded to join in and
support the community, then I hope all the rest of us
will work together to identify creative and positive
solutions without them.

  More @
http://www.javalobby.com/nl/archive/jlnews_20040818o.html

   - Gerald