Re: bug #264247 unreproducible

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:39:56AM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> You got a new email address? Congratulation and welcome ;-)

  Thanks,

> >  A FTBFS bug has been submitted on my libxp-java package this week-end:
> >     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=264247
> >
> >  I don't understand why kaffe complains about this source code.
> > I can't reproduce this behavior on my system (never with kaffe, jikes or
> > Sun JDK)
> >
> >  Any idea ?
>
> You should not build with 'javac' because it's an alternative and you
> never know what is 'behind' this symlink. Something like
> $(JAVA_HOME)/bin/javac is a better alternative.

  Correct. And since this package build-depends on kaffe I think I can
directly use /usr/lib/kaffe/bin/javac.

> In the Makefile of libxp-java, JAVAC is define with an '='. I'm not a
> 'make' guru, but maybe it it was define with ':=', you could override
> the JAVAC value in your debian/rules

  I can override it from my rules file even if it is defined by =.

> Hope this helps.
>
> By the way, I could build the package with 'pbuilder', so maybe you can
> change the severity of the bug to wishlist and retitle 'Don't depend on
> javac to build the package' (of course it's the same thing with JAR
> ;-)).

  Before doing that, I think I must be sure that this bug I related with
this "wrong compiler" problem. But I'm not convinced this is the reason
of the bug reported by Roland Stigge.

  Let's try...

--
Nicolas Duboc <nduboc@debian.org>