Re: [gentoo-java] Re: [JPackage-admin] maven-1.0-0.rc1.jpp ready

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:28:37PM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> OTOH, some people told me that writing Maven plugins was rather easy, so
> I assume it would be possible to hook up Maven somehow to work with
> native packaging systems, instead of working around them.

To me, it appears that Maven is a non-starter. Most of the lifting work
is done by apache ant anyway, and it is actually ant that fetches the
jarfiles from the maven repository.

All maven-based projects I have package so far (around 10, so it's not a
representative selection quite yet) all come with a proper build.xml
file that can easily be
1) patched to use pre-installed jarfiles anyway
2) coerced into using existing jarfiles by setting env vars in
   the build.properties file
3) fooled into thinking the jarfiles are already downloaded by adding
   symlinks in the lib/ or externals/ dir.

Which means that maven is immaterial in the generation of javadoc and
the product jar files. It may be useful when generating other stuff,
such as the project web pages or whatnot, but these are less relevant
for us packagers.

Kind regards,

Karl T