Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Java Linux common packaging

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 11:06:16PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> BTW xsltproc is blazingly fast here - I doubt a shell implementation
> would be any faster. In fact I suspect it'll end up faster than anything
> in shell - all the optimizations the Gnome folks did to process heavy
> docbook documents seem to paying of nicely.

I don't think any of us are very sceptical about the speed of xml
processing for these things. xsltproc is as you point out pretty fast,
and according to Daniel Veillard, there are even faster processors
written in Java(!), so we'll be well off on that front.

I'm more wary of adding another dependency to the base system to allow
Java to work, though. However, I guess both perl and python come with
suitable xml libraries in their default installations on all distros, so
maybe it's not such a big deal, and all distros come with these as part
of their base system (=minimal installation).

Kind regards,

Karl T