Re: What is the ant-launcher.jar?

Daniel Bonniot wrote:

What is the rationale for /usr/share/ant1.X/lib ? Is it designed for plugins that would only work with a certain version of ant?

Plugins should work with both versions since the API for them has not changed. The reason for /usr/share/ant1.X is that both libant1.5-java and libant1.6-java can be installed at the same time.

ant is the package that should be used by end users. It uses /usr/share/ant for ant.home. libant1.*-java have been created so they can go into main and can be used by other Debian package for building or running (like tomcat4). The ant package depends on one of them so some JARs don't have to be shipped twice. I'll ask the ftp admins to remove libant1.5-java after sarge has been released so Debian packages should start to migrate to libant1.6-java.

Plugins should only install themselves in /usr/share/ant/lib since you have to manually assemble your classpath in debian/rules anyway when using libant1.*-java.

But anyway, the same question is valid if you don't depend on ant, and install a package that installs a plugin, then install ant. I think the plugin should create the symlink even if ant it not installed (yet). So if ant is installed at a later date, the plugin is recognized. (I believe this is also the way emacs modes are handled).

Yes, that's the way I do in in libtomcat4-java for /usr/share/ant/lib/catalina-ant.jar.

Stefan