Re: When is a package ready to go into main?

Since the 1.1.4 release of kaffe, eclipse runs reasonable well with
kaffe.

Good news!

Reasonable well means, that I successfully did some java coding
with it. I couldn't call it very good, since the second editor (XML
plugin) I tryed to open crashed the whole thing.

So what is the treeshold (sp?) to declare the package 'Depends: kaffe
(>=1.1.4) and try to move it into main?

As others have stated, eclipse handles pretty sensitive data (sources), so being conservative is appropriate. On the other hand, eclipse could go in main because it _can_ run on a free vm, it does not mean that users cannot run it on a non-free vm is they happen to have one. I guess the startup scripts could either use /usr/bin/java and let the user use the alternatives system to choose their vm, or if using find-java or manually looking for a vm, give the priority to a sub or blackdown vm if one is present, since they are know to work better in this case.

Please note, that eclipse currently requires a prebuild tomcat and
xerces (IBM Maintance branch), so it can't go into main for that reason.

Then it's a good reason to wait for them (and send bug reports to Kaffe if you can).

BTW, any plans for packaging eclipse 3.0?

Cheers,

Daniel