Ean, please orphan Kaffe!, was Re: Co-maintaining Kaffe

Ean Schuessler wrote:

The last significant change to Kaffe from a *packaging* perspective was migrating it to DBS and that was my work. Your recent NMUs (which have been

The most significant work on the Kaffe package in the last 12 months was the move to 1.1. Arnaud has created test packages [1],[2] and verified which bugs were fixed in this new upstream release. I had to announce my intention to NMU Kaffe [3] just to make you work on your package again.

Migrating Kaffe to DBS might have produced the largest differences between two package versions but it was far from being the most significant work. BTW, CDBS would have been a better choice anyway...

insanely numerous) disabled DBS by simply renaming the patches directory to "no-patches". That isn't adding value and was done without a byte of email consulting me.

He had good reasons to do this. Some of the patches have been applied upstream (checks done by Arnaud!), some are not needed (tests also done by Arnaud and others, but not you according to the BTS logs). You simply uploaded Kaffe 1.1.1-1 based on his work and asked others to test the resulting package [4]. Maybe you should read the Kaffe mailing list, e.g. [5]?

Without sarcasm I will tell you again that I appreciate your enthusiasm and want to work with you. Simply be aware that I will not be ignored and will not tolerate haphazard changes that are not cleared with me first. There is nothing unreasonable about that attitude and nothing that is out of line with policy.

This is not acceptable for me to base more of my Java packages on Kaffe. I don't see a reason why you should have the final word and let others do most of the work. All maintainers are equal in the pkg-java project and you should do the same for Kaffe.

For the time being I will leave you as an Uploader on the condition that you communicate your intended changes with me first and only upload when I am grossly unresponsive (ie. more than a week). My preference is to receive changes in the form of a DBS patch.

So you are expecting to be unresponsive? Do you plan to spend more time on Kaffe? This procedure will just cause more overhead for no benefit.

I'm not the only one who has asked you in public or private to orphan Kaffe in the past months. I repeat my request here and ask to to act in the interests of Debian instead of trying to keep power on a package that you are not even interested in [6]. The only thing that you have achieved is that Arnaud got frustrated and might have lost interest in co-maintaing Kaffe.

Stefan

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2003/debian-java-200308/msg00014.html

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2003/debian-java-200308/msg00046.html

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2003/debian-java-200308/msg00143.html