Re: Total beginner in java

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:57:39 -0800,
Andrea Giusto <giusto@economia.unibo.it> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Andrea,

(first, this mail is not in relation with the actual thread, so please
next time, write a new mail but don't reply to a mail if it's not the
same thread)

> I am no expert at all in java, but I have some knowledge about c++ and
> programming in general. Since I like to have everything fine on my
> computer ;> I would like to be able to use java applets and programs...How do
> I start it? is there any good comprehensive source of info in the internet
> ( perhaps an HowTo?) that deals with linux and java?

I don't understand what you wanna do exactly with java? Just run
programs and applets? Write programs?

> And, btw, I downloaded a seemingly interesting program that come with no
> documentation and is a .jar file! Given that I installed Blackdown according
> to the Debian java policy what am I supposed to do with this file?

you can try

$ java -jar yourjarfile.jar

but program usually comes with README file. Maybe you'll have a script
to launch the program, maybe you'll have to setup a classpath to launch
the program...

About applet, I think blackdown 1.4 debian package should do it
fine. You can also try gcjwebplugin but it's not complete yet (and make
mozilla crash when I view an applet -- I have to complain to Michael
Koch!)

Cheers ;-)

--
  .''`.