Re: Java policy: finding the base directory of the default JRE/JDK

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:42:49 -0800,
Shyamal Prasad <shyamalprasad@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a system that is installed according to the Debian policy
> documents (including Java policy). On this system I am trying to find
> the "base Java directory" for the default Java environment.
>
> Is it correct for me to chase symlinks from /usr/bin/java until I find
> the actual executable, and work backwards?
>
> For example, on my system: /usr/bin/java --> /etc/alternatives/java
> --> /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/bin/java --> /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/bin/.java_wrapper
> (Blackdown Java) which allows me to deduce that the "base java
> directory" is /usr/lib/j2se/1.3.
>
> Will this work for all Debian JVM (and compiler) packages as long as
> the alternatives system is correctly set up?

Yes, it should.

> If not, how can I find the base of the distribution in general?

I don't understand.

> From the base directory can I assume I can find bin/java (if a VM is
> installed), and bin/javac (if a compiler is installed)?

update-alternatives --display java
update-alternatives --display javac
etc...

> Perhaps even lib/tools.jar, or is that a Sun thing only?

Yes it is. The JAVA_HOME env var also. It can be set if you install
kaffe or free-java-sdk (or any other non-free JDK)... but with free JDK,
you'll not find tool.jar.

> Or can java and javac be from different packages (the policy document
> certainly makes it seem so)?

Yes. I only list free once.

o Runtimes: sablevm, jamvm, gij, kaffe, kissme (I'm not sure it's
            still alive?)

o Compilers: jikes, kjc, gcj.

> I'm trying to isolate what seems to be a fault in the Emacs/XEmacs JDE
> package and it boils down to not chasing symlinks from /usr/bin/java
> to find the equivalent of JAVA_HOME.

See kaffe and free-java-sdk and point JAVA_HOME to /usr/lib/kaffe or
/usr/lib/fjsdk

> I do not do any Java development anymore, and I've only ever used
> Blackdown on Debian, so any input would help.

Maybe I'm too curious, but if you don't do java dev any more, why do you
ask?! :-D

Cheers,

- --
  .''`.