Re: What's the plan for Eclipse 3?

On Friday 12 November 2004 06:14, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> ~    I am pretty sure that Eclipse 3.x still relies on the
> eclipse/{plugins/features}/ layout, if I understand your meaning.  Can
> you expound on the problems this presents in your view, or point to a
> place where it may be documented in the work you have already done?  I
> will be searching through that in the meantime.

(When I say extension, I mean feature or plugin).

It is indeed the case that Eclipse requires auxiliary extension locations to
have the directory laying random/path/prefix/eclipse/{plugins,features}.

However, the "random/path/prefix" may be whatever you like. Eclipse will by
default only detect installed extensions in the main eclipse
directory /usr/lib/eclipse-3
(or /usr/{lib,share}/eclipse3/{features,plugins}). Auxilary locations may be
added to the "auto search path" by adding .link files in
/usr/share/eclipse3/links.

Each link file looks like
path=/some/random/path

In this fashion, you should be able to host each new extension in its own
place, if desired, as long as it installs a (uniquely named) link file into
the eclipse links dir.

Another note: Since 3.1 is backwards binary-compatible with 3.0, but the user
may want to have 3.0 and 3.1 installed at the same time, it may prove
desirable for 3.0-compatible extensions to install .link-files in both the
eclipse3 and eclipse3.1 links directories.

-- Karl T

PS. I'm the maintainer of Eclipse on Gentoo.