Re: merging back libfoo-java and libfoo-jni

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 23:05, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> [Please CC me on replies, M-F-T set.]
>
> hi,
>
>   I'm seeking some advice from the Java maintainers as to what would the
>   best to do in the situation I'll expose.
>
>   currently, kdebindings creates 6 Java library packages:
>   lib{dcop,qt,kde}3-{jni,java}. the Java policy (section 2.4, last
>   paragraph) states that

libdcop3-java
Installed-Size: 48 (kilobytes)
Size: 9052  (bytes)

libdcop3-jni
Installed-Size: 60
Size: 11274

libqt3-java
Installed-Size: 1512
Size: 640712

libqt3-jni
Installed-Size: 3816
Size: 984278

libkde3-java
Installed-Size: 780
Size: 503164

libkde3-jni
Installed-Size: 6168
Size: 1548528

> I'd create only 3 packages if I were to create them from scratch.

Which 3 of them?

I think mixing native and java code, especially in packages that are in
main and are autobuilt on all architectures is bad idea.  I'd kill
libdcop3-java and libdcop3-jni and merge them in either qt or kde
packages (wherever they belong).  This way you'd have 4 packages of
decent sizes and no archive space wasted for keeping multiple copies of
identical .jar files.

HTH

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--