Re: Sparc java ?

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 01:23, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> I had java installed via apt-get at one time in the past -- this is no
> longer working.

There's an old archive with 1.3.1 debs somewhere.  I tried to use it
once but java was segfaulting immediately.  So I fetched tar.gz of 1.4.1
for linux/sparc from blackdown, installed it in /usr/local/jsdk1.4 and
added it "byhand" as alternative for java and javac with
update-alternatives, plus installed a couple of "dummy" packages from
java-common (look in /usr/share/doc/java-common/dummy-packages) created
with equivs.  There was also some other way of installing java
semi-automatically, but I never did that so cannot tell you.

Note, that I did the above only for one of the lab machines, where
I really needed to run some heavy-weight java software.  For all other
java-related development (2 of my courses this term require a lot of
java programming) I simply use SableVM and free-java-sdk package
that provides me SDK-like environment but with free tools only.

Yes, I use sparc machines for that (remotely accessed Sun Blade 150 is
faster than my home machine).

HTH

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski
--