Re: Packaged PPower4

On Oct 29 2004, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote:
> > The problem was that upstream didn't include a tarball. All he distributes
> > is the jar file, a wrapper shell script for calling the jar file (which I
> > adapted to meet things that I would think that would be reasonable in
> > Debian) and a bunch of style files. I also had to grab the manual
> > separately.
>
> Whoah.  So there's no source code?  Presumably your package is going
> in non-free then?  The jar file distributed by upstream contains GPL
> code (GNU getopt) without source, so it probably isn't distributable
> even in non-free.

Well, it seems that there is, but I could not find it. And I'm still a
rookie regarding anything related to Java programs.

My hope is that this package indeed gets included in Debian, for it would
benefit a lot of people that I know (they more or less follow what I tell
them to do when they have some problems, and having it packaged in Debian
would be really nice for creating new installations).

> However, according to the ppower4 web site:
>
>      The post processing software is written in Java and it is free
>      (refer to the GNU general public license).
>
> You might want to ask the author for the source since it's apparently
> GPLed.

Yes, I will try to get in contact with the author (and also tell him that
I'm packaging his program). I packaged PPower4 the way I did because I
wanted to get a package working quickly and also because I didn't find the
sources at <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/ppower4/download.html>.

Anyway, how good or bad are the other aspects of the package for a
potential inclusion in Debian, provided I get the source? Is the layout of
the things on the filesystem ok both for LaTeX and for Java? Any other
obvious errors? Any suggestions regarding the dependencies, suggestions,
and recommendations?

Thank you very much for any feedback, Rogério.

  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito