Re: Packaged PPower4

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:23:54 -0300,
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> On Oct 29 2004, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
[...]
>> Only from a quick look, why orig.tar.gz contains only
>> pp2p.jar?  I suspect style files (and documentation or
>> samples ?) could be also included.
>
> I received a feedback from Frank Küster on debian-mentors and I made some
> improvements to the package already.

And he did not told you to build your package from sources?

> The problem was that upstream didn't include a tarball. All he distributes
> is the jar file, a wrapper shell script for calling the jar file (which I
> adapted to meet things that I would think that would be reasonable in
> Debian) and a bunch of style files. I also had to grab the manual
> separately.

No source code? Isn't it free software as it is claimed in
debian/copyright?

> I now remade the orig.tar.gz to include all these items (the jar file, the
> wrapper shell script, the style files and the manual in PDF format as well
> as a minimal man page generated with help2man) and uploaded it again to my
> homepage: <http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/>

What about the sources?

[...]

>> # I don't know Java, sorry.
>
> I tried following what I found to be the Debian Sub-Policy on Java, but I
> am not sure that I got the things right, since I am quite new to Java (only
> started learning some small bits of Java when JVMs entered main in
> testing).
>
> I now would appreciate if developers from debian-java could shed some
> comments on the java-side packaging of PPower4.

Building from sources is a requierment for *every* Debian package.

,----[ /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz ]
| ,----[ 2.1. The Debian Free Software Guidelines ]
| |      The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) form our definition
| |      of "free software".  These are:
| | [...]
| |      Source Code
| |           The program must include source code, and must allow
| |           distribution in source code as well as compiled form.
| `----
|
| ,----[ 2.2. Sections; 2.2.1. The main section ]
| |      Every package in _main_ and _non-US/main_ must comply with the
| |      DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines).
| |
| |      In addition, the packages in _main_
| |         * must not require a package outside of _main_ for
| |           compilation or execution (thus, the package must not
| |           declare a "Depends", "Recommends", or "Build-Depends"
| |           relationship on a non-_main_ package),
| `----
`----

Building your application depends on the way upstream do it. Is it build
with ant? make? you could also build it your self with gcj, find and
fastjar.

Cheers,

- --
  .''`.