Re: Sun Lawyers Attack The Java Republic News Blog

At -0400Monday 6/14/04 11:03 PM, Gerald Bauer wrote:

Hello,

  I just got an email from a Sun lawyer advising me to
rename the Java Republic news blog to the Republic for
discussion of Java(tm) technology or to the Republic
regarding the Java(tm) platform.

  I'm not making it up. What's next? Sun lawyers suing
the Java Republic to rebrand their island? See the
email titled "Sun's Java Trademarks" yourself online @
http://www.mail-archive.com/viva-announce@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00025.html

  Any comments?

Gerald,

Perhaps you could email Rick Ross, the founder of JavaLobby.org, to ask him how he dealt with this issue. Or perhaps you could do what, for example, JSurfer.org did: replace the term "Java" with the letter "j," yielding "JSurfer" instead of "JavaSurfer." Notice that TheServerSide.com does not do either. There is no "java" or "j" in their domain name despite the fact that their web site is almost entirely about J2EE.

What about debian-java? How does the
mailinglist debian-regarding-the-java-tm-platform
sound?

  - Gerald