Re: tomcat-users.xml

On Monday 12 April 2004 20:29, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Caoilte O'Connor wrote:
> > Does anyone else find that tomcat-users.xml gets
> > deleted every time they upgrade tomcat4?
>
> Someone told my that tomcat-users.xml got overwritten in
> past releases, but I have never heard of it being
> deleted. Can you reproduce this with the latest version?
> If so, please file a bug report.

It's been overwritten by a zero length file on two separate
upgrades of my development box.

> > or
> > /etc/tomcat4/
>
> tomcat-users.xml has been there in past releases but I
> had to change this because tomcat-users.xml is not really
> a configuration file (like Samba's smbpasswd file).

I think this was the problem. I had the file
in /etc/tomcat4/ and I think it was deleted and replaced by
a zero length file in /var/lib/tomcat4/conf/. I copied the
emacs backup back in /etc/tomcat4/ and then went through
the same gotcha last week.

I just tried downgrading then upgrading and couldn't
reproduce the problem that way. My only possible complaint
would be that you're not informed that the configuration
file has been moved (like you are when config files have
merely changed). probably too late to do anything about
that though.