Re: libxalan-java

Hallo Stefan,

* Stefan Gybas wrote:
>Xalan and Xerces don't not have external APIs themselves. The API for
>Xalan is TrAX and packaged in libjaxp1.2-java. If some packages are
>using internal classes directly (like Xalan does with Xerces), they are
>basically on their own. It's like applications that might break when
>they are using internal libc6 references.

Ok, so I misunderstood, what the libxalan-java package is about. On
the other hand, I don't understand things like that then:

apt-cache show fop:
[...]
Depends: java-common, j2re1.3 | j2re1.4 | java2-runtime,
libxerces-java, libxalan2-java, libbsf-java (>> 20010106-2),
liblogkit-java, libavalon-framework-java (>= 4.1.2-2), libbatik-java
(>= 1.5final)

It seems that some packages use xalan directly and having it upgrading
to a newer breaking API version will break this apps. Therfore I think
it would make some sense to treat this packages 'as API' as long as we
have software, which uses internal API.

I have no idea, how fop uses xalan, but if it is like 'call the app',
then libxalan-java should probably become 'xalan' anyway.

Another 'IMO': Everything with lib in front should be 'library
packaged'. Otherwise it wouldn't be 'lib' (I know that this isn't true
with some normal packages, but... :)

Jan, only opinions...
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net