Re: libxalan-java

Jan Schulz <jasc.usenet@gmx.de> writes:

> Hallo Stefan,
>
> * Stefan Gybas wrote:
>>I'd like to name the new source package in main libxalan-java (instead
>>of libxalan_2_-java) since that's also the name that upstream uses.
>
> IMO that as bas as using kdelibs instead of kdelibs4
>
> Jars like xalan are libraries and should be packaged accordingly.
>
> Thats also the reason, why the proposed policy uses
> '<name><API_Version>[-<extra_Name>].jar' and
> 'lib<name><API_Version>-java' as names for jars and packages.
>
> Just consider, what will happen if the next xalan version includes
> breaking API changes.

I agree, but with you should read the arguments of Stefan:

>> I'd like to name the new source package in main libxalan-java
>> (instead of libxalan_2_-java) since that's also the name that
>> upstream uses. However, there's already an old Xalan-J version with
>> that name in contrib, but this package is orphaned (#200460) and not
>> maintained upstream any longer.
>>
>> Any objections to taking the name? The libxalan2-java package in
>> contrib will stay unchanged (at least for some time) since xalan2.jar
>> bundled some external classes that are not in the new xalan.jar (this
>> might break other packages that depend on libxalan2-java.) The new
>> xalan.jar is compatible with the version that is in the old
>> libxalan-java package so it will not break turbine which depends on
>> libxalan-java.

1) not fully compatible with libxalan2-java;
2) fully compatible with libxalan-java;
3) libxalan-java is orphan;
4) xalan is not maintained upstream anymore.

Stefan, I second you proposal (even if I don't have too, but I agree
with your choice).

Cheers and many many thanks for your job!

Note: I did modify the wiki page and put libxerces2-java in the 'back to
      main' section, so we see the job! (if we remove the packages that
      go to main, we'll not see all the job done! ;)

NOTE2: if xalan goes to main, I think we'll be able to try to have gjdoc
       running without problem in main... and then, build every
       documentation with gjdoc. (I have some idea of a new way of
       managing the whole documentation with gjdoc!...thanks to xml ;-)

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud