Re: Status and futur of ArgoUML package(s)

"Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> writes:

> W liście z sob, 17-01-2004, godz. 21:29, Arnaud Vandyck pisze:
>>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the ArgoUML debian package. The
>> next generation of ArgoUML (current development 0.15 and next stable
>> 0.16) will use the mdr library:
>> http://mdr.netbeans.org/download/daily.html
>>
>> Which is an implementation of the JMI from Sun.
>
> How does the upstream go with it? Do they tell users to download this
> lib by themselves? Or do they provide download of it? If yes, then
> maybe you could create contrib installer that would fetch the jar and
> install in in /usr/share/java ? And you could make argouml depend on
> the installer.

They do provide it. I think it's not legal. But I already told them but
retract because I was not sure enough.

> I don't know how it looks right now, but when I used ArgoUML it was
> under rapid development and any new version was bringing major
> changes.  So not sure how much sense would it have to have an outdated
> argouml in Debian.

Well, our version is usable but miss some important features that should
be present in the next stable release.

> Unfortunately ArgoUML Project is a perfect example of people who care
> of being Open Source but not about being actually Free Software :-(

:'(

> I remember that I once strongly discussed that they should wrap around
> usage of some another non-standard, non-free stuff  so that it were
> possible to use ArgoUML w/o it. And I think they did. But I guess that
> mdr (whatever it is) is much deeper buried in internals of ArgoUML and
> you can't sanely live w/o it using some stubs?

I don't know. The problem seems to be JMI from Sun, I'm not sure about
MDR (from NetBeans). But as you know, the two entities are very
close. If I create a new JMI classpathx sub project, I'm not sure
NetBeans will use it ;) Also, I don't know if it's possible to download
the MDR sources without JMI.

I think a package who tell the user to fetch MDR would be OK. Do you
have an example package using debconf to know where the file is and then
(I suppose in postinst) unzip and put the jar file in /usr/share/java?

If it's easy to do it, I'll make it also for 'jimi' (needed by FOP). But
I don't like the idea of making such packages.

  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud
 `. `'
   `-