Re: GR: Removal of non-free

[Dalibor Topic - Fri,  2 Jan 2004 07:54:14 PM CST]
> Ant works fine for me, too, when I set JAVA_HOME to where kaffe is
> installed, and set -Dbuild.compiler=kjc when I invoke ant as in.
>
> ant -Dbuild.compiler=kjc
>
> Jetty works, too, afaik.

I need to pay more attention to these things, but I'd been busy
graduating for the last few months.  That's good news to hear and
I'm impressed.  :)  I see that there are some apps out there that
still need work/testing:

    http://www.kaffe.org/compatibility_applications.shtml

I remember when kaffe was really dragging its feet at the
beginning---kind of like our research project :) ---but things seem to
have really picked up.

> Tomcat 5 still doesn't work since our Jar loader doesn't adapt the
> Classpath according to the Classpath information in Jar files. It's on
> my list of things to fix, but it'd be faster if someone provided a patch ;)
>
> I don't know how well that works with the current version in debian,
> though. It's about 4 months behind the current release of kaffe and
> things tend to develop quite quickly here ;)

If this rate of improvement keeps up, a great free JVM may really be a
reality in some months, and then many Java things can move out of
contrib and into main.  Good!