Re: ant dependency on jython and antlr

Let me preface this by stating that I know very little about ant, and I
have no idea how ant specifically interacts with jython.

Jython itself is an implementation of the python scripting language.
The python package does not suggest every package that uses python
scripting, nor does it suggest every package that provides a simple
interface for editing python scripts.  The relationship works the other
way around: packages that use python scripting will need to depend on
python, and packages that provide script writing facilities will
probably suggest python also.

In a similar way, it does not seem sensible for the jython maintainer to
hunt down every package that might use python scripting or offer a fancy
interface for writing python scripts.

> Look at it this way: if I need to use jython (I have jython source i'd
> like to compile or execute), I might find ant a useful tool, as a way to
> specify the compilation options.

You might also find bash a useful tool (for the same purpose).  Or make.
You might find vim a useful editor.  Or emacs, or kate.  Or anything
else with python-specific support.  You might find idle a useful IDE
(this is python after all).  I could go on.

> It's the same relationship as between a compiler and an editor: the
> editor helps me use the compiler, the compiler does not help me use the
> editor.

But neither suggests the other.

> On the other hand, if I need to use ant (say, to write a build script
> for a complex Java project), how would jython be a tool to help me in that?

Can you please write a more detailed account of how ant relates to
jython?  This would probably be a helpful addition to this discussion. :)

Ben.