Re: ant dependency on jython and antlr

On the other hand, having jython depend on (or recommend or suggest) ant
is quite nonsensical as well, since ant is not really a tool for script
writers - in fact jython is not enhanced by ant at all.

The way I see things, it is: ant provides a different interface to call the jython interpreter.

Look at it this way: if I need to use jython (I have jython source i'd like to compile or execute), I might find ant a useful tool, as a way to specify the compilation options.

On the other hand, if I need to use ant (say, to write a build script for a complex Java project), how would jython be a tool to help me in that?

It's the same relationship as between a compiler and an editor: the editor helps me use the compiler, the compiler does not help me use the editor.

 The relationship
works the other way around: jython enhances the functionality of ant.
Is the point that you can write python code inside your build.xml? If so, then I agree. From what I saw, the task is more like glue to call the jython compiler, and then I disagree.

(for antlr, it's even more obscure how it could enhance ant)

Daniel