Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hi Ean,

--- Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> wrote:

> and so forth... or alternatively you could use something more symbolic
> than version numbers. For instance:
>
> depends:
>   java.lang.reflect.Proxy
>   java.text.Bidi.reorderVisually
>   java.io.ObjectOutputStream.useProtocolVersion.int

that seems like the most sane solution to me. List all the classes an
application needs from the standard libs, and list all the classes a vm
implementation provides. and then just match.

> Before anyone freaks on how much work this might be for VM maintainers
> keep in mind that we may be able to leverage a tool like the mauve test
> suite to generate dependency information automatically.

you can use japitools to see how much of the java class librararies a
particular free implementatiomn has covered. you can also use a tool like the
bcel verifier to recursively determine the 'class cloud' of an application.

cheers,
dalibor topic