Re: update-alternatives problem for java?

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:44:30 +0200, Egon Willighagen <egonw@sci.kun.nl> wrote:

On Friday 08 August 2003 15:31, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:26:34PM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Right... and I understood from Hein's email that the sablevm package
> does this upon upgrade...
>
> Is that a bug?

If sablevm does something to reset a manually selected alternative, then
yes, that is a serious bug.  I have not checked whether this is true.

I've just had a look at sablevm's postinst... which installs the update- alternative entry for java... and it does not seem to do this...
(so no bug):

update-alternatives \
--install /usr/bin/java java /usr/bin/java-sablevm 350 \
--slave $man/java.1.gz java.1.gz $man/java-sablevm.1.gz

I just checked the prerm script of both sablevm and gij, and found the following comment in the sablevm script:

case "$1" in
   remove|deconfigure)
       update-alternatives --remove java /usr/bin/java-sablevm
       ;;
   upgrade)
;; # I don't want to --remove the alternative during upgrade because # it will switch to auto and won't be set back when upgrade is done
   failed-upgrade)
       ;;
   *)
       echo "prerm called with unknown argument \`$1'" >&2
       exit 1
   ;;
esac

As you can see the --remove option will set it back to auto. So the problem is not with sablevm, as the gij 'prerm' script (see below) does in fact do a --remove also in the case of upgrade, and thus the resulting behavior of reverting to auto mode.

update-alternatives --remove java /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-3.3 >/dev/null 2>&1 || true Should I report this as a bug in gij, or is this a problem with update- alternatives? I mean, why should removing an alternative cause it to revert to auto mode, unless the alternative being removed is the default alternative?

So I guess appologies to the sablevm maintainer is in order.

- Hein