update-alternatives problem for java?

Hi

Every time I do an update, and there is a new version of sablevm (I think), the alternatives system returns to "auto" mode and selects sablevm as the default JVM, even though I have previously (manually) selected j2sdk1.4 as the default.

 Anyone know why this keeps happening?

Thanks,
 Hein

PS; this is what I get _after_ having selected j2sdk1.4 manually; does this + sign mean anything?:

# update-alternatives --config java
There are 4 alternatives which provide `java'.
Selection    Alternative
+    1        /usr/bin/java-sablevm
     2        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-3.2
*     3        /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/bin/java
     4        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-3.3
Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: