Problems w/ mpkg-j2sdk vs IBM 1.4

I'm trying to get mpkg-j2sdk (v 1.9.21) to build a debian package out
of the IBM 1.4 JDK.  I've created .deb with it and installed using
dpkg --install, but AFAICT the new IBM JDK doesn't like being
redirected via /etc/alternatives.  As you can see below, with one
level of symlink redirection, things work fine, but with two, java
can't find it's .so file.  In 1.3.1, there was a script that chased
down symlinks, found the real executable, and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
accordingly -- this script went away in 1.4

$/usr/bin/java -version
JVM not found: libjvm.so  - libjvm.so
$ls -lc /usr/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Dec 19 13:49 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
$/etc/alternatives/java -version
java version "1.4.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0)
Classic VM (build 1.4.0, J2RE 1.4.0 IBM build cxia32140-20020917a (JIT enabled: jitc))
$ls -lc /etc/alternatives/java
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Apr 29 18:32 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-ibm/bin/java

This is the same problem I encountered when converting the IBM 1.4 rpm
to a .deb using alien.  I'm running a mostly up-to-date Woody.

Any suggestions about how to solve this problem?  Obviously we could
modify our PATH, but that's a poor option overall.  Similarly,
switching to the Blackdown or Sun jdk aren't great options.

Thanks for any help,
Dave