Re: ports problem

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:06:46AM +1000, Daniel Santamaria wrote:
> i thought reserved ports were below 1024 only! can anyone else confirm
> that?

Well, I don't do much with ports but I had this number
5000 stuck in my mind without being sure whether it was
correct or where I'd got it from.  So I rummaged around
and found:

	"In the TCP/IP domain -"

(Are we talking about the same thing?)

	" - port numbers 1 through 5,000 are reserved.  Ports 1
	through 1,023 are privileged ports reserved for use by
	well-known or privileged-user-assigned processes.  Ports
	1,024 through 5,000 are also reserved and are dynamically
	assigned to privileged processes by the operating system."

		- Advanced Java 1.1 Programming, Rice & Salisbury,
		  McGraw Hill

But in practice this doesn't seem to be true, anyway.  I can
in fact create a socket on a port between 1024 and 5000 with
no trouble.

In any case, the exception thrown would be BindException, not
ConnectException, so it's not your problem.

But you can get the ConnectException (Connection refused) by
running the client application when the server application
is not running.  That's not what you're doing, is it?