Re: Debian/Java

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 22:01, Mark Howard wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 07:50, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> > Are there other people interested in setting up a Debian/Alioth project
> > that should centralize the various Debian/Java efforts? This project
> > would involve:
>
> I think much of this doesn't need an alioth project - it should just be
> discussed on this list.

The problem with the mail archive is that the messages are not organized.

> > - a dh_java program (to determine which Debian packages can fullfill
> > imports, I've go a prototype for this)
>
> This would be nice as a tool for developers to use, but I don't think
> that it should be used when building the package - Build depends cannot
> be written at build time; actual dependencies found by this script would
> be the same.

Agreed. Using it at build time was not really my proposal, though the dh_
might indicate this?

> > - a task for java pieces
> > - or maybe even a CD image as an add on for Debian (including the
> > Blackdown stuff)
>
> Would this go against the alioth terms of use?

Not sure.

> If they're not already in the main distribution, then there must be a
> legal reason.

Indeed. Hence the add on. I fully support the Debian project, and love it very
much. And therefore I would like to use it in my Java development process
too. And every now and then I think it is a bit difficult to set up a nice
full developing environment. I basically just miss the 'apt-get install
task-java-dev'

> What else would you fill a CD with other than blackdown java?

Good point. It might contain duplicates of what's in main/contrib/non-free,
but it might contain additional things too. Like inofficial backported debian
packages... that don't make the proposed updated and a point revision in the
end...

The whole point of a nice CD image would be that I can simply donload that 300
Mb and have a full java-dev environment without having to download the
complete Debian CD set, which is up to 12 now? (And with a ISDN and don't
feel like install over internet either, as you can understand)

> > - a Build-Java-software-on-Debian-HOWTO (including chapters like "how to
> > use eclipse", "how to compile ProgramX with gcj", "how to run ProgramY
> > with sablevm", etc, possibly/likely to use existing FDL documentation)
>
> Nice. But I'd prefer wrapper scripts to be written for each compiler
> folowing a standard convention and linked with alternatives.

Yes, that would be ideal. But besides the actual command, it would be very
nice to have a list of free compilers/VM that I might try my software with.
It would be nice to see how I can easily/conveniently determine what problems
to expects with a given compiler/VM, etc...

> > - a project to determine/write down what is 'missing' in this Debian/Java
> >   (leading to implementations solving those ommissions)
>
> Please discuss these on this list.

As again, the write/down might be missing then... the archieves are nice but
hardly organized... hence the Java Policy which organizes even some good
practises, but mostly policy...

> > - a repository of java debian packages that are not yet in Debian
>
> Again, if we can legally do this, why aren't they in Debian?

Think about backported packages and packages with sponsored/maintained by
Debian developers.

BTW, thanx for looking critically at my ideas.

Egon